New to the site

General off topic discussion. If it doesn't fit in any other category it goes here. Keep it clean and don't turn this into a politics or car forum or the ban hammer gets restless.
pascone10

New to the site

Post by pascone10 »

Hello there. I wandered over here after MaxBurn shared a link on the Big H site.. What do we have here? It seems like no posts so far this year, if i am looking at it right. Are you guys still working to get it off the ground or is it just meant for a small group of people.

Anyway. I like the idea, hope I can contribute in a meaningful way!
orion242

Re: New to the site

Post by orion242 »

Lol, not a whole lot at the moment. Would put it in the still working off the ground, but time and motivation are scare resources. If it starts to take off I'm sure we will find more time.

Last time H went down a few of us decided maybe it was time to build something else that's not ran by a bunch of boobs. Frankly put a fair bit of time in posts over there. Seeing how close the whole site was nearly lost forever multiple times now, doesn't sit well. If I'm going to put the effort into something that eats up my free time, would rather have it somewhere that maybe has...i don't know...backups?

Don't want to start a pissing match over there, so avoiding posting anything about it there myself.
Maxburn

Post by Maxburn »

It's nice to have options. The big upset with the forum was also a reminder of who owns the site and why, which doesn't really sit right with some people. Current banner on it is an example of that.
orion242

Post by orion242 »

To add to this, I'm simply not going to post any content I spend a fair bit of time and money there first if ever going forward. Still like the site and will check in on it if its still around. If its something I put a deal of effort in, it won't be there anymore.
black_syphilis

Post by black_syphilis »

Hi there
I'm glad to see an alternative to H, ok I haven't any problem with them but I'm happy to be here :)
Maxburn

Post by Maxburn »

It's just nice to have something that's a little more in our control and not tied to a marketing agency that "forgets" all about that forum and deletes all copies of it.
black_syphilis

Post by black_syphilis »

H sounds like a big thing, what do you mean by forgets and delete? #gossip
Maxburn

Post by Maxburn »

Remember that big disruption when hvactalk went down, then came back up and was upgraded to current version of vbulletin but broke all links and other stuff, then got downgraded to the old unsupported version again? That got kicked off by being forgotten about and deleted. They didn't even have a current backup to recover from, I think the most recent one was like six months old.
black_syphilis

Post by black_syphilis »

oh yes I remember! Many people were angry. Sh**** admin
Maxburn

Post by Maxburn »

That didn't take long, hvac-talk down as I write this.
Maxburn

Post by Maxburn »

Maxburn wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:34 am That didn't take long, hvac-talk down as I write this.
Again.
black_syphilis

Post by black_syphilis »

It's working for me, I think you are ban from site :lol:
Maxburn

Post by Maxburn »

They may be getting attacked, basic DOS perhaps. I created a post in the help section and they said they got hit with a lot of traffic. Right this second I'm getting this;

Database Error Database error
The database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:
Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
Open the hvac-talk.com home page, then try to open another page.
Click the Back button to try another link.
The hvac-talk.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
orion242

Post by orion242 »

Its been down quite a bit between 5-6am EST lately. Been down this morning for at least an hour.
klrogers

Post by klrogers »

Looks like the big H***-**** is down again this morning
Maxburn

Post by Maxburn »

Yeah, I put them in uptime robot and they go down multiple times a day. Usually in the morning. Doesn’t last long though. I think they might be seeing some traffic from something unrelated like an amateur DOS.
orion242

Post by orion242 »

Maxburn wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:55 amI think they might be seeing some traffic from something unrelated like an amateur DOS.
Doesn't add up to me. If that was the case, why bother during a low traffic time slot. Running in AWS as well.

It's a big site though and its not free to mitigate nonsense when it comes along.
Maxburn

Post by Maxburn »